Report to Police

What can I report to police?

If you are in immediate danger, or have just experienced a sexual assault, call 911.

Unwanted sexual contact is never okay, and certain types of contact are criminal offenses including sexual battery and rape.

California legal definitions:

  • Rape: Non-consensual sexual intercourse that involves the use of threat of force, violence, or immediate and unlawful bodily injury or threats of future retaliation and duress
    • Non-consensual: when a person is incapable of giving consent because they are incapacitated by alcohol and/or drugs, or if they have a mental, developmental, or physical disability that renders them incapable of giving consent.
    • Whether the accused is a stranger, acquaintance, spouse, or friend is irrelevant to the legal definition of rape.
    • Sexual battery: Touching an intimate part of a victim or forcing a victim to touch an intimate part of another person against the victim’s will, for the purpose of sexual arousal, sexual gratification or sexual abuse, while unlawfully restraining them, through deception, when the person is unconscious, or while the person is mentally or medically incapacitated.

Read more legal definitions at Laws in California and Laws Outside California.

Back to top

How do I report to the police?

There are four ways you can report to police:

  1. If you first report to Pomona, a Pomona staff member is required to assist you in reporting to police, if you so choose. In your initial interview, you can tell the staff member that you wish to report to police, and they will facilitate the process.
  2. Call the Claremont PD non-emergency number (909) 399-5411and say you would like to make a report with the Special Victims Unit or Sex Crimes department.
  3. Visit the Claremont Police Department located at 570 W Bonita Ave, Claremont, CA 91711 between 7am-10pm to make a report in person.
  4. If you go to the Pomona Valley Hospital Center Emergency Room for a forensic exam the Claremont PD (CPD) will be notified, and they will send a uniformed officer to come speak with you at the hospital.  Learn more about the Forensic Exam.
  • If it has been more than 5 days, or you do not wish to have a forensic exam, you can still report to the police, and a Pomona staff member can assist you in the process. You may call the CPD at (909) 399-5411 and set up a time to speak with a detective.
  • If you decide to go to the hospital for a forensic exam, it is strongly encouraged to first request an Advocate from Project Sister; they can help you navigate the medical process and interact with the police more smoothly than if you go on your own. 

If you choose to report to police, a Pomona staff member or member of Campus Safety can provide you with transportation and/or escort you to the police station, if you desire.   You can visit Campus Safety at the Pendleton Business Building located at 150 East Eight Street, Claremont, CA 91711, or call them at (909) 621-8170, or by dialing extension 72000 from any campus phone, or by emailing them at [email protected].

Back to top

What happens after I report?

After you make an initial report, a designated Investigator/Detective may be assigned to your case and will follow up with you to determine next steps. Potential next steps may include:

  • visiting the scene of the crime
  • interviewing witnesses, and/or
  • interviewing you to gather more information

At that point, they might decide not to move forward with a criminal investigation. If they do move forward, the investigator will present the evidence and details of the case to a District Attorney, who will determine whether there is enough evidence to move forward with a criminal prosecution. The prosecutor may decide to pursue a criminal case even if you do not want to, however, you cannot be forced to participate in any investigation or prosecution if you do not wish.

Back to top